HISTORY FORM FOUR TOPIC 2: NATIONALISM AND DECOLONIZATION
NATIONALISM AND DECOLONIZATION
NATIONALISM IN AFRICA
IMPORTANCE OF NATIONALISM
External factors which influenced Nationalism.
FORMS OF NATIONALISTIC STRUGGLES IN AFRICA.
From 1919 –1940s Nationalistic struggles changed from wars of resistances to formation of social welfare associations.
SOCIAL WELFARE ASSOCIATIONS
- Colonial exploitation.
- Colonial discrimination.
- Poor working conditions.
- Low payment. Forced labor.
- Land alienation.
The following were the forms of social and welfare Associations
1. INDEPENDENT CHURCHES/RELIGIOUS MOVEMENTS
Examples of independence churches were;
- Drew attention to African grievance e.g. political and social injustices.
- Stimulated moral and courage towards fighting for National independence.
- Helped to convey message of freedom.
- Created unity to all Africans to fight for their rights.
- Made Africans aware of European exploitation.
Example of workers’ Associations
- Tanganyika Territory civil servant Association (T.T.C.S.A)
- Formed in 1922 in Tanga by Martin Kayamba.
- African association 1929 which became TAA- 1948 Kenya.
- Young Kavirondo association formed by students lead by their teacher Jonathan Okwir.
- Kikuyu association.
- The Young Buganda association founded in 1920.
Meaning of mass Nationalism
POLITICAL PARTIES IN AFRICA
Causes of MauMau Movement
Effects of MauMau Movement
The MauMau group was annoyed by slow pace of constitutional change and the settler declaration in 1950 that “we are here to stay and all races must accept that and all it implies”.
DECOLONIZATION THROUGH CONSTITUTIONAL/PEACEFUL MEANS
DECOLONIZATION THROUGH ARMED STRUGGLE
REASONS FOR THE ARMED STRUGGLE
DECOLONISATION THROUGH REVOLUTION
The political parties that were formed during struggles for independence were;
Benefits of Zanzibar Revolution.
QUESTIONS FOR GROUP DISCUSSION
21. Explain five roles of the welfare Association and religious movements in the struggle for independence in East Africa.
Dear our readers you can also navigate our all study notes in our site
though this post please to read our notes by classes click lick button down
JE UNAMILIKI SHULE AU BIASHARA NA UNGEPENDA IWAFIKIE WALIO WENGI?BASI TUNAKUPA FURSA YA KUJITANGAZA NASI KWA BEI NAFUU KABISA BOFYA HAPA KUJUA