Job Opportunity at Biotan Group Limited, Mechanical Technician
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
– Qualification Level: Technical diploma
– Experience Level: Mid-level
– Experience Length: 5 years
BIOTAN is a startup company in the field of organic cashew nut processing.
We are working with small holder farmers as the supplier of cashew nuts to our processing facility. BIOTAN as well as our farmers are certified organic according to EU regulation.
Our processing facility is based in Dar es Salaam, Mbagala industrial area.
Our industrial processing equipment includes automatic, semi-automatic and manual machines for sorting, steam-cooking, shelling, peeling, drying and packing.
As a Mechanical Technician you will be responsible for the maintenance and repair of our processing machines. You should know the ins and outs of our machines and you will be the first one called when a machine starts to malfunction.
In close collaboration with our Electrical Technician, you will be responsible for diagnosing the issue and making the corresponding repairs. You will work in close cooperation with the manufacturers of our machines and external service providers.
- Strong mechanical repair/troubleshooting and metal working skills.
- Must be able to satisfactorily demonstrate proficiency in Machine Repair, Machine Tool Operations, Pipefitting and Welding.
- Functional knowledge of mechanical components (valves, pipe fittings, bearings,motors, gearboxes, compressors etc.)
- Ability to read and/or interpret mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic blueprints or schematics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels of the organization both written and verbal; includes building relationships with Supervisors and Management.
- Be able to perform basic reading and arithmetic problems involving addition,subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, job related internet research and ability to learn Maintenance software for daily usage.
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and problem solving skills with focus on attention to detail.
- Be able to work both in independently and in a team environment completing objectives efficiently with a sense of responsibility.
- Be able to safely complete the physical tasks associated with the essential job functions. These tasks include extensive climbing, walking, lifting, bending, standing, carrying and squatting.
- Be able and willing to work in non-ideal environments such as: confined spaces, working at heights, dusty/dirty and around chemicals.
- Understand, practice and enforce safe work practices related to the following: respiratory protection, elevated work platforms, fall protection, control of hazardous energy (Lockout/Tagout procedure), fire protection systems, electrical safety, forklift/hoist operation, welding, cutting, brazing, confined space entry, PPE and employee Right to Know.
- Language skills in English and Kiswahili both verbal and written
- The Mechanical Technician works in close cooperation with the supervisors and the machines operators
- Identify, troubleshoot and repair mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic and simple electrical problems on plant facilities and production equipment.
- Check equipment and operating systems and correct wherever necessary.
- Ensure mechanical operations, standards and controls are maintained at high quality.
- Resolve motor, pump, conveyor and hydraulic problems.
- Ensure high level technical support to lower level technicians.
- Show expertise in working with team and independently.
- Comply with company safety guidelines and procedures.